chelseabatesphotography.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gettin creative

 Because of all the goodies I received from Christmas (photoshop, lenses, filters, books...)  I have really been trying to brush up on my photography skills.  What I have tried to focus on mostly is shooting manually.  Why have a camera like this and not take full advantage, right?
I have really been focusing in the f-stop, which in my words, is a way to focus more on one area, while other areas that are near are blurred.  For example, if I had not changed the f-stop manually, the picture of the paint brushes would be focused on the brushes, water, and cup.




Again (although I need more practice on moving subjects) Jules' ear is blurry while her eye is not because I manually changed the f-stop, or aperture.


And here is just a picture I painted.  The background is a two-tone type of technique I tried.  First, I painted purple on the blank canvas.  On top of the purple, I painted green.  Then, I laid a paper towel with a neat texture on top of the canvas, and then pulled it off which exposed the purple underneath with the neat pattern intact.   Although it is much easier to see the texture in real life, it looks very neat.  Enjoy!





1 comment:

JessicaBates said...

I really like the purple flowers painting! I also like how Jules's eye reflects the outdoors. Very cool.

The paintbrush photo = awesome! Keep it up, sister! I also like to know about F-stop. Maybe you could do a post called "F-Stop for dummies", or something along those lines. I'd like to know what you've learned! :) Lovey dove.

Jess